recent posts

Monday, May 15, 2017

Featuring Ron Lucas


ELMER’S GLUE

I am no delicate flower.
I am a shattered, fine goblet.
Pieced back together with
Children’s paste.

The slightest touch.
The lightest breath.
And I may collapse into
An irreparable heap
Of tiny shards,
Too small,
Too sharp,
And dangerous
To ever
Even be

Picked up
Again.

Please,
Gently pad to the
Open window,
And door,
And close them softly
With your bleeding
fingers

on your way
out.


INFLUENZA AND… SOMETHING MUCH WORSE…

Have been ill of late,
Quite ill.
Wake each day with
A gasp,
Feverish, shivering,
And one
Word
Escaping dry, cracked lips.

I laugh.

It’s funny.

Apparently, I shall die
One day
With your
Name
Upon my tongue.

And I have not
Seen your
Face
Or
Heard your
Voice
For
Fourteen years.
… AND NOT CRONSHAW’S PERSIAN…

In the hall,
Outside my door,
“Big Steve” begs
For his life
At gun point.

“Shoot this mother—
Fucker, babe!”
Screams the man
Beating him, to
His lady,

Over and over.

“No, please, don’t!
Please don’t!”
Sobs Big Steve to
The man and
The lady,

Over and over.

In my place,
Inside my locked door,
I had no phone.
I could not help or
Even dare to make
A sound.

It was all over
In five minutes;
An eternity.

It was all over
A five dollar
Rug.


ANGEL OF MUNCHAUSENS

Where are you tonight?
No one knows.
As usual.
Who are you tonight?
I no longer know
Your name.
Your birthday is in a
Week.
I think.

We were young when
We met.
You were younger
Than I.

Are you in a hospital
Somewhere?
Are you comforted by
The sounds?
The sterile smell?
The needles
Piercing?
Does it take you
Home?
Wherever that
Was?

Our daughters are
Doing well.
Our granddaughter
Is cute,
Sweet, and smart.
I am doing
Okay.
Not that you should
Care.
My shrink asked
After you
Today.
Thought you might
Like that.

Well, I hope you enjoy
Your stay.
Get well soon.
Happy birthday.
I think.

No comments: